What is the history of West Mead Township?

In 1898, West Mead Township and East Mead Township were divided up from lands originally referred to as Mead Township.  West Mead Township is home to 5,249 residents over 25 square miles and is governed by a three person Board of Supervisors.  Although primarily a residential community, in recent years we have become home to numerous small and medium sized businesses especially filling up the West Mead Industrial Park as well as with expansions in already existing facilities.  With over 42 miles of township roadways, our Road Department provides general road maintenance including winter snow removal, paving and seal coat work projects on various roadways.  We are extremely proud of our various  recreational opportunities including the Meadville Area Recreation Complex,  Oakgrove Park (which was once known as Oakwood Park and the Ponce de Leon Mineral Spring can still be found on site), Crawford County Fairgrounds and 11.9 million dollars in state grant funding has been approved to rebuild the dams at Tamarack Lake by 2020.  Our Police Department is in place to help protect our citizens and can be reached by calling 911 during emergencies or 814-724-2548 for non emergencies.  We are fortunate to have two volunteer fire companies as well as the SCUBA facility located in the Township.  Zoning Approvals and Building Code Permits are necessary in the Township.  For any questions or further information, our office staff is ready to help.

Come vist us at 1150 Morgan Village Road, Meadville, PA 16335, on the web at www.westmead.org or by calling 814-336-1271.

Close window